Saturday, December 11, 2010

Lessons From My Podiatrist

For a couple years I have managed to keep the callous over my right bunion in check. But over time it has gotten the best of me. After a recent race, a painful blood-filled blister formed beneath the callous and I wasn't brave enough to shave the callous down to the blister, nor even sure that I should try.

And so I made an appointment with a podiatrist--Dr. Shilling of the Foot Care Center in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Scalpel in hand, he whacked away at that problematic callous, and also one on my right big toe, and another on the left foot. Sweet relief! That feeling that my skin was way too tight was gone. But while he worked he also passed on some foot care tips.

As a paralegal professor, I stand most of my working time. This obviously is not good for my feet and what is bad for my feet is also bad for running. He suggested Crocs band footwear. I checked out their website. I found some cute looking shoes appropriate for a professional working environment. When they arrive and I actually try them on for the first time, I will update you on my opinion of the shoes. He said the shoes have done wonders for his diabetic patients. They provide cushioning and support, and should keep pressure off my bunion.

He also talked about running surfaces. Treadmills, he said, are not good. Because the surface is flat and unyielding, a runner on a treadmill repeatedly exercises the same muscles again and again. Trails, he said, are best; the uneven surface forces your feet into varying positions which prevent pounding the same muscles in the same way repeatedly. Roads aren't as good as trails, but not as bad as a treadmill. Though a road surface is more stable and flat than a trail, there is still some surface variety for the muscles.

The third thing he warned me about is the importance of regular shoe fittings. Feet, he said, never stop growing. The rate of growth slows down tremendously as we age, but feet still grow wider and longer. Hence it is important to check a shoe's fit--whether new or ones that have been in the closet a while.

And the callous? I should be able to keep it shaved or pumiced to a minimum for a while, at which point it will get ahead of me and need the podiatrist's care once again. There are several tools available at the drug store. My preference has been a shaver made by Solinger (also available at a drug store). But the doctor also said a pumice stone or an egg-shaped pumice would do the job.

Right now the newly exposed skin on my right foot is a bit tender, but much better than it was before the scalpel did its healing work. As far as the foot care tips? I aim to do all I can to keep my feet happy, and to keep my runs as pain free as possible.

No comments: