Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Feeling better

In my last post I stated that burnout seemed to have replaced the joy of running. As of this week, however, I have concluded that the threshold issue was as much physical as mental.
Evening temperatures have been in the high 40s to mid 50s and, thus, the temps during my 9 a.m. runs have also been much cooler. And with the cooler temperatures, my mood has also improved. But yesterday the nurse practitioner changed my asthma/allergy medication. I didn't time myself yet today; I was not ready for an objective, scientific check to see if my running ability improved. But I can say that I felt like I went out faster. My legs hurt as much as my lungs. I didn't need to use my rescue inhaler. I woke up without a headache.
This leads me to think that what I perceived to be a burnout was actually more physical than mental.
I am anxious to see how I do in Saturday's race, and I am thinking it may be time to start some speedwork.

1 comment:

steve said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better 'Nete!